Our History

Some information about our past

Our History

Established 1851

In 1851 a group of people started meeting for worship in the lower flat of a house in Wilderhaugh elsewhere in the town. On St Peter’s Day, 28th June 1853, the foundation stone was laid for the present church of St Peter’s. A school (building on the right) was added in 1859 with accommodation for 265 scholars. Over the years the church was extended and halls were constructed to the rear (now the Air Cadets Training Centre). In more recent times the school moved to new accommodation on Parsonage Road a short distance to the east. Today regular Sunday worship continues, preserving the tradition, ritual and beauty of the Episcopal style. The church building also provides a home for the Galashiels Foodbank and other community groups.

The church is a Grade C listed building.  More details of the architectural history and features can be found here.

https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB31988

st peters building
Scroll to Top